SDMX/DDI Dialogue Core Group
23 May 2013, telephone conference
Present: Franck Cotton, Dan Gillman, Arofan Gregory, Denis Grofils, Al Hamilton, Thérèse Lalor, Juan Muñoz, Jean-Marc Museux, Achim Wackerow, and Steve Vale.
1.Update on mapping activities in the "Frameworks and Standards for Statistical Modernisation" project
Thérèse reported that two teams have been mapping GSIM to DDI and SDMX respectively, at the conceptual level. This work is now more or less finished, and the DDI group will start looking at creating DDI profiles for official statistics. Arofan presented a summary of this work at the recent METIS meeting: (http://www.unece.org/stats/documents/2013.05.metis.html - see WP.3), and will present it to the meeting of the SDMX Technical Working Group, and the Eurostat SDMX/DDI Workshop in early June. Denis will explore the possibility of remote participation, particularly for day 1 of the workshop.
2.Update on Eurostat work - ESS cross-cutting project on Information Models and Standards
Denis reported that work is ongoing within Eurostat to identify the dependencies between various projects in the context of the Vision Infrastructure Programme. Relevant current work includes an inventory of standards and reference models, work on use cases (e.g. documenting the Labour Force Survey in DDI, and moving from processing microdata using DDI to disseminating aggregates using SDMX). Papers on these topics should be available by July. The deadline for the project is mid 2015.
3.Update on business case
Al reported on recent communications with Marco Pellegrino on this topic. He will give a presentation on the business reasons for integrating standards at the Eurostat workshop.
4.Other Initiatives and Events
a) Recent events
- North American DDI User Conference, April 2-3, 2013, Lawrence, Kansas, USA http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/naddi/
- Meeting on the Management of Statistical Information Systems (MSIS) http://www.unece.org/stats/documents/2013.04.msis.html
- Work Session on Statistical metadata (METIS) http://www.unece.org/stats/documents/2013.05.metis.html
- Linked Data on the Web (LDOW2013) at the World Wide Web Conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 14. http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2013/
- DDI-RDF Discovery Vocabulary: A Metadata Vocabulary for Documenting Research and Survey Data. Thomas Bosch, Richard Cyganiak, Arofan Gregory, Joachim Wackerow: Paper: http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2013/papers/ldow2013-paper-12.pdf , Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/boschthomas/201305-ldow-2013-www-2013
b) Future events
- The 2013 IASSIST meeting will be held in Cologne on 28-31 May, there will be a poster on GSIM-DDI mapping, http://www.iassist2013.org/iassist-2013-home/
- The DDI Expert Committee will meet (members only) on the margins of the IASSIST meeting (27 May)
- A Eurostat / Statistics Netherlands workshop on standardisation will be held in The Hague on 30-31 May 2013
- The SDMX Technical Working Group will meet in Luxembourg on 3-4 June
- Eurostat will organise a workshop on SDMX and DDI issues on 5-6 June
- A sprint session on developing a common statistical production architecture will be held in Rome, 10-14 June
- Conference on semantic interoperability, Dublin, 21 June: http://ec.europa.eu/isa/news/2013/2013-conference-on-semantic-interoperability-in-dublin_en.htm
- The first International Workshop on Semantic Statistics (SemStats 2013) will be held in conjunction with ISWC 2013, the 12th International Semantic Web Conference (21-25 October 2013, Sydney, Australia). http://datalift.org/en/event/semstats2013/cfp.
- DDI Training on Facilitating Process and Metadata-Driven Automation in the Social, Economic, and Behavioural Sciences with the Data Documentation Initiative (DDI), October 21 – 25, 2013, Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz Center for Informatics, Wadern, Germany: http://www.dagstuhl.de/13432
- DDI Development: DDI Lifecycle: Moving Forward (Part 2), October 28 to November 1, 2013, Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz Center for Informatics, Wadern, Germany, http://www.dagstuhl.de/13442
- The 2013 European DDI User Conference will be held in Paris on 3-4 December
c) New initiatives
- The SDMX technical and statistical working groups are discussing the development of an generic expression / validation language, which could be used by both SDMX and DDI. This will be discussed with DDI representatives at a side meeting in Luxembourg on 5 June.
- The Data without Boundaries Project is prototyping a pan-European portal for microdata sets
- A roadmap is being developed for DDI to move to a model basis by the end of 2014
The next teleconference will be held on 17 July 2013 at 14.00 CET.