SDMX/DDI Dialogue Core Group
Tuesday 19 March 2013, telephone conference
Present: Franck Cotton, Al Hamilton, Thérèse Lalor, Achim Wackerow, Marco Pellegrino and Steve Vale.
1.Progress reports from Task Teams
a) Task Team 1: Vocabularies
Marco reported that a corrected draft integrated vocabulary will be circulated in April. Eurostat are doing some work with Metadata Technologies on direct mappings between DDI and SDMX based on the mappings of both standards to GSIM.
b) Task Team 2: Business Case
Al reported that he had recently contacted the Task Team to explore the possibility of re-starting work on use cases, and will follow up with Task Team members. There is a possible link to work on use cases within the “Plug and Play” project.
c) Task Team 3: Access to Microdata
Thérèse reported that there has been no real progress in this Task Team. It was agreed that this work will be considered as a use case, and merged with the work of Task Team 2.
2.High-Level Group Project on Frameworks and Standards
Thérèse gave an overview of the project including the work of two task teams, considering the mapping of GSIM to DDI and GSIM to SDMX respectively. After an overview of the proposed mappings, a coverage analysis is proposed. More detailed mappings will be necessary in the areas of data collection and classification, for the proof of concept strand of the “Plug and Play” project. The initial output will be a spreadsheet of the agreed mappings, probably followed by XML for areas with more detail. The mapping to DDI is based on DDI version 3.1, but the proposed changes for version 3.2 are also being taken into account.
3.Governance of Standards Work
Steve reported that the High-Level Group had agreed in principle to a new governance structure, including a “Modernisation Committee on Standards”, which will include representatives of standards organisations from outside official statistics, such as the DDI Alliance. The UNECE is preparing terms of reference for this committee. The group decided that the work of the SDMX/DDI Dialogue should be integrated with the modernisation committee.
4.Other Initiatives and Events
- North American DDI User Conference, April 2-3, 2013, Lawrence, Kansas, USA http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/naddi/
- A “sprint” session for the architecture strand of the “Plug and Play” project will be held in Ottawa, 8-12 April 2013
- The annual meeting on the Management of Statistical Information Systems (MSIS) will be held in Paris and Bangkok on 23-25 April 2013 http://www.unece.org/stats/documents/2013.04.msis.html
- The next METIS Work Session will be held in Geneva on 6-8 May 2013, followed by a face-to-face meeting of the SDMX Statistical Working Group (9-10 May) http://www.unece.org/stats/documents/2013.05.metis.html
- The 2013 IASSIST meeting will be held in Cologne on 28-31 May http://www.iassist2013.org/iassist-2013-home/
- The DDI Expert Committee will meet (members only) on the margins of the IASSIST meeting (27 May)
- A Eurostat / Statistics Netherlands workshop on standardisation will be held in The Hague on 30-31 May 2013
- The SDMX Technical Working Group will meet in Luxembourg on 3-4 June
- Eurostat will organise a workshop on SDMX and DDI issues on 5-6 June, Marco will circulate more information.
- The 2013 European DDI User Conference will be held in Paris on 3-4 December
Al suggested that a presentation on Rogatus (a planned open source toolset to cover the whole DDI lifecycle) at the North American DDI User Conference may be of wider interest, e.g. for the Eurostat Workshop.
The next teleconference will be held on 23 May 2013.