By Director General of
the Department of Statistics under
the Government of the Republic of Lithuania
No DĮ – 219 of 23 October 2007
THE DESCRIPTION OF THE ORDER OF ORGANIZATION OF COMPETENCES APPRAISAL OF THE UNIT LEADERS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS UNDER THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
- GENERAL PROVISIONS
1. The description (hereinafter referred to as the description) of the order of organization of competences appraisal (hereinafter referred to as the ‘appraisal’) of the Unit Leaders shall regulate the organization of competences appraisal of the Department of Statistics under the Government of the Republic of Lithuania: preparation, execution, systematization and presentation of the results.
2. Competences appraisal shall be executed in October, once in two years.
- THE GOAL OF THE APPRAISAL
3. The Appraisal shall be aimed to determine the level of the Unit Leaders’ compliances appraising 8 management competences.
- ORGANIZATION OF THE APPRAISAL
4. The Division of Personnel shall organize the appraisal.
5. All the Unit Leaders of the Department of Statistics shall be appraized (except for the Heads of sub-divisions).
6. The questionnaires of the appraisal (Annex 2 of the description) shall be filled in by:
1) Director General an his Deputies supervising the Unit Leaders;
2) 3 employees of different levels subordinated to the Unit Leader (e.g. Head of a Sub-Division, Senior Specialist, Chief Specialist). If less than three employees are subordinated to the Leader, the questionnaire of the analysis shall be filled in by all the whole staff of the Unit.
3) 3 Leaders of other Units: the Leader of the Unit, to which the Unit of the analysed Leader provides the information, the Leader and Head of the functional division of a sub-division, from which the unit of the analysed Leader receives the information.
7. The questionnaire of the appraisal is partly autonomous – the analysed Leader receives the information separately about the direct Leader and the generalized appraisal of the employees and the Leaders of the other Units, however, the surnames of the employees and Unit Leaders, who executed the appraisal, shall not be known to him.
8. The questionnaires of the till 20 May of the respective year and shall be presented to the Division of Personnel at least on 21 May.
- STRUCTURE OF QUESTIONNAIRE AND THE PROCESS OF THE APPRAISAL
8. The questionnaire of competences appraisal shall be used for the execution of the appraisal, consisting of 8 parts: communication, leadership, adaptability, relationship, task performance, productivity, training of employees, personal development. The competences shall be appraised assessing separate capacities. Each capacity is marked by (X), indicating who should appraise it: the direct leader and/or the subordinated employee and/or the Leader of the other Unit (in the columns DL (Direct Leader). SE (Subordinated Employee), O (Leader of the Other Unit)).
10. Competences shall be assessed using the following scale of appraisal:
0- competence is not needed (shall not be turned into scores)
1- never demonstrates this competence
2- seldom demonstrates this competence
3- sometimes demonstrates this competence
4- usually demonstrated this competence
5- always demonstrates this competence
11. The Division of Personnel shall present the questionnaires of the appraisal to Director General or his Deputy.
12. The Division of Personnel shall select three subordinated employees for each assessed leader in the way that they correspond to the criteria stipulated in Point 6 of this Description, and present to them the questionnaires of the appraisal.
13. The Division of Personnel shall select three Unit Leader in the way that they correspond to the criteria stipulated in Point 6 of this Description, and present to the questionnaires of the appraisal.
14. The filled in questionnaires of the appraisal shall be presented to the Division of Personnel within the terms stipulated in the Description.
- SUMMING UP AND PRESENTATION OF THE RESULTS OF THE APPRAISAL
15. The Division of Personnel shall analyze and sum up the results of the appraisal.
16. The results of the appraisal shall include the competences appraisal, the determination of the strong and weak capacities.
17. The generalized results of the analysis shall be presented to the Leadership within 1,5 months after the end of the analysis.
18. The generalized individual results of the analysis shall be presented to the appraised Unit Leaders within 2 month after the end of the appraisal.
19. The results of the appraisal shall be used to identify the needs for the training and personal development.
20. The results of the appraisal cannot be used for the performance appraisal.
- FINAL PROVISIONS
21. The generalized results of all the appraisals of all the Unit Leaders shall be available on the Internet website of the Department of Statistics and shall be accessible for all the employees. The individual results of the appraisal of the Unit Leaders shall be accessible for the leadership and personally for the Unit Leaders.