6.1 Overview of roles and responsibilities
The organisation model of SMS project management must be presented in the context of the model of SIS Redesign management.
Organisation structure of SMS is composed of the Project Steering Committee (PSC), Task Force SMS and the project teams appointed by the CZSO top management for development of individual SMS subsystems. Supervision over the whole project has the top management of the CZSO, which reviews progress reports on SMS subsystems presented by the PSC. Achieved results and/or proposals for changes are subject for the consideration and approval by the CZSO top management. Furthermore, the CZSO top management appoints members of PSC, Task Force SMS and project teams.
The nature of SMS project requires participation of diverse professions in the project teams. Members of the project teams are methodologists, subject-matter statisticians, IT specialists, programmers, specialists on statistical dissemination, users etc. Composition of working teams is flexible, depending on the nature of problems to be solved.
For the operational running the SMS administration must be established and will be an integral part of the organizational structure of the CZSO. According to the present situation the SMS administration will fulfil following roles:
- central administration of SMS,
- administration of the subsystem CLASS,
- administration of the subsystem VAR,
- administration of the subsystem TASKS,
- administration of the subsystem QUALITY
- administration of the module TIME_SERIES,
- administration of the module OUPUTS
- administration of the module CENTRAL-CONTROLING.
The set of administration roles will be increased in future in accordance with further development of the SMS.
Organisation model of SMS project management is shown in the following diagram:
6.2 Metadata management team
Activities focused on SMS subsystems are organised as follows:
1. Steering committee (SC) for development projects SIS Redesign, SMS and Public Database is headed by the First Vice-President of the CZSO. Members of the SC: management of subject-matter statistics and methodology, IT management and advisor to the President of the CZSO for the SIS and SMS.
The Steering Committee manages conceptually the work on the projects in the CZSO. It continually controls the results of the work (at least once in three months) and takes principal decisions on the way of further work.
2. Members of the project teams (PT) are heads of sections, selected directors and subject-matter experts of the CZSO. The top management appoints the heads of the teams.
The project teams work on design of individual SMS subsystems and cooperate with external project workers in development, testing and putting the subsystem into the CZSO practice.
3. Administrative coordination/organisation of SMS project teams is the responsibility of Task Force SMS in cooperation with the heads of project teams for individual SMS subsystems.
The work includes the preparation of regular progress reports and creation of conditions for activities of external project workers inside the Office.
4. Operational running of the SMS will be incorporated in the CZSO's organisation structure, which will meet the requirements of SMS administration.
Separate CZSO intranet web pages have been built and regularly updated to comply with the need of documentation and information sharing between project teams of SIS Redesign, SMS and Public Database. Documents approved by the project teams are available to all CZSO staff members. These web pages proved to be an important tool for dissemination of SMS information inside the Office.
6.3 Training and knowledge management
The SMS department is preparing a number of training activities within the preparation of individual SMS subsystems. They are included in the CZSO's training system. In 2007 courses were prepared on conversion of nomenclatures and classifications into CLASS subsystem, description of variables for VAR subsystem for pilot testing, information on TASKS subsystem, and a general course on SMS development. Also training in currently used SMS terminology (incl. selected international organisations). In year 2008 we have continued in organizing training for subject-matter statisticians and designers of statistical tasks.
6.4 Partnerships and cooperation
The SMS is an integral part of the State Statistical Service provided by the CZSO. The ongoing "item inventory and analysis" is coordinated with the workplaces of the statistical service in central government institutions.