- Achieve strategic coherence within the statistical IT community by actively acting as information broker by means of communication or by presence in projects, working parties and other activities.
- Promoting, and in some cases developing standards to encourage the sharing of statistical software or facilitate collaboration..
- Maintaining a wiki for exchange of ideas and information.
- Producing regular newsletters to highlight important developments
- Developing and promoting proposals for improving the sharing of architectures
- Alerting chief statisticians (through the HLG-BAS and CES) about any emerging strategic issues related to the development and sharing of statistical software
- Dissemination of information about products and services etc. but not for the actual products themselves, the SAB acts as an information broker, bringing parties together and supplying additional information